Here are some highlights related to family issues from today’s Speech from the Throne, which outlines the government’s priorities for the upcoming legislative sitting. Not all of these announcements are specific policy initiatives yet. Some are more like themes. The specifics will likely be announced in the upcoming Budget.
The bullets below are copied verbatim from the Speech, in no particular order.
- Canadians also know that prostitution victimizes women and threatens the safety of our communities. Our Government will vigorously defend the constitutionality of Canada’s prostitution laws.
- Build on our caregiver tax credit by working with employers to better accommodate Canadians caring for older family members;
- Make adoption more affordable for Canadian families;
- Re-introduce and pass the Respect for Communities Act to ensure that parents have a say before drug injection sites open in their communities;
- Close loopholes that allow for the feeding of addiction under the guise of treatment;
- Our Government will help the world’s neediest by partnering with the private sector to create economic growth in the developing world. Tax dollars spent on foreign aid must achieve real results. Our Government’s international aid will continue to be focused, effective and accountable.
- Sadly, millions of women and girls continue to be brutalized by violence, including through the inhumane practice of early and forced marriage. This barbarism is unacceptable to Canadians. Our Government will take steps to ensure that it does not occur on our soil.