Pro-life video challenge for Ontario youth offers $1,000 in prizes

 

OTTAWA, October 14, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Action Life (Ottawa), Inc, a pro-life organization located in Canada’s capital, has announced the launch of this year’s pro-life video competition, titled “Censored for Life: Video Challenge 2011” to promote awareness and respect for human life from conception.

The “Censored for Life: Video Challenge 2011” is geared to giving young people an opportunity to use their artistic talents to create an original video message showing the humanity, dignity and value of nascent human life.

The contest is open to Ontario elementary and high school students under the age of 19, and involves submitting an original pro-life and educational video using YouTube to Action Life by the submission deadline of Midnight, November 14th, 2011. The submissions will be judged on strength of pro-life message, motivational impact, and artistic merit. 

Action Life Ottawa is offering cash prizes of $500 for first, $300 for second, and $200 for third place finishes in this year’s contest.

Last year’s winners were: 1st place – Eric Jette of St. Joseph’s Catholic high school in Nepean; 2nd place – Ellis Maveety of St. Francis Xavier high school in Ottawa; and 3rd place – the Culture of Life Club at Lakeshore Catholic High School in Port Colborne, Ontario, led by teacher Kate Purcell.

Watch the 2010 “Giving A Voice To The Voiceless – Pro Life Video Challenge” winning submissions here.

Action Life’s Executive Director, Louise Harbour, said the board of directors is ecstatic about the potential the contest has to help spur on pro-life engagement from elementary and high school students.

Commenting on the 2010 video challenge, Louise had said, “Based on the enthusiasm generated by this event, the quality of the submissions we received, and considering this is only our first year for this contest, I think this is a fantastic result. We are very hopeful that such an incentive-based contest will be copied and repeated by other pro-life organizations in Canada, the U.S. and around the world.”

Action Life executive assistant Clare Brant told LifeSiteNews that in light of Action Life’s goal of education on life issues, the name of this year’s video competition, “Censored for Life,” reflects many aspects of the fight against abortion and that censorship of the right to express your views is something teens would be interested in.

“Many pro-lifers believe they are being censored on the issue of abortion, and this video contest is a way that teens can express their pro-life views, and hopefully get more teenagers involved in the pro-life movement,” Clare said, adding that “the name “Censored for Life” can have a lot of meanings, and we’re looking forward to seeing what ideas teens can come up with.”

The deadline for submissions is Midnight, November 14th, 2011.

Further details about the video competition can be found on Action Life’s website here. (http://www.actionlife.org/)

Here is last year’s winner. Pretty slick and powerful, I’d say. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solve : *
27 − 7 =